Think you can’t have a house filled with sweet smells of cinnamon and vanilla because you’re in the Zone? Zone Pasta opens up a new world of possibilities.
Think you can’t have a house filled with the sweet smells of cinnamon and vanilla baking in the oven because you’re “in the Zone”? Think again! Zone Pasta opens up a whole new world full of possibilities. This recipe is my take on the kugel, a baked pudding, which can be either savory or sweet. It’s one of the ultimate comfort foods that’s right up there with mac and cheese in my book.
While developing and fine-tuning this easy recipe, the raspberry version quickly became a favorite at my house. Try it for breakfast or for dessert. It’s definitely going to be part my holiday buffet this year.
Enjoy, and happy holidays from my house to yours!
Raspberry Almond Kugel
Yield: 12 dessert sized servings
- 1 pat butter or a small amount of light-tasting olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Zone PastaRx Fusilli (120g dry)
- 7 egg whites
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 2 teaspoons alcohol-free vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 10-oz. frozen raspberries.
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare Zone PastaRx Fusilli according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- Drain the raspberries, reserving any juice, and set aside.
- In the microwave melt the butter in an 8 x 8-inch baking pan and spread it to coat the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, lightly whisk together the egg whites, sour cream, cottage cheese, milk, agave syrup, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon until well blended. (You will still see the cottage cheese curds).
- Stir in the raspberries. Add the cooked fusilli and toss well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan, evenly distributing the liquid and fusilli throughout the pan. Top with the sliced almonds.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until the middle is set. Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into squares. Drizzle with reserved raspberry juice.
Serve warm or at room temperature. It can also be served cold, straight out of the fridge, garnished with a small dollop of whipped cream and a couple of fresh raspberries.
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.