On the Border is a chain of Mexican restaurants located in all but 11 states. When Sherlock Zone, our intrepid food detective, suggested a visit to the restaurant to friends, they were shocked. They wondered how anyone could stay in the Zone with the mountains of tortillas on the menu.
Sherlock’s reply? “It’s elementary.”
The restaurant features Guacamole Live!
It is made fresh to order at the table with two whole avocados, plus a choice of tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro, red onions and fresh lime juice.
Chili, of course, is always a Zone staple.
Three salads also won Sherlock’s approval:
- Sizzling Fajita Salad - Topped tableside with sizzling Mesquite-Grilled Steak or Chicken, guacamole, sour cream, pico de gallo and mixed cheeses. Pass on the sour cream.
- Citrus Chipotle Chicken Salad - Premium Pulled Chicken Breast tossed in fat-free Mango Citrus Vinaigrette with peppers, red onions, tomatoes, corn, queso fresco and crunchy jicama. Served atop fresh mixed greens.
- Mexican Chicken Caesar Salad - Romaine lettuce with Mesquite-Grilled Chicken, crumbled queso fresco, pumpkin seeds, diced avocado, tortilla strips and creamy Caesar dressing. Say no to the pumpkin seeds and tortilla strips.
Choice of dressings: Chipotle-Honey Mustard, Ranch, Smoked Jalapeno Vinaigrette, or Fat Free Mango Citrus Vinaigrette. Or substitute salsa for any salad dressing. That’s a nice way to get a Zone-favorable carb block.
Create Your Favorite Fajita - Gives you a nice variety. Ask for corn tortillas and limit it to one:
- Grilled Vegetables With Portobello Mushrooms
- Mesquite-Grilled Chicken
- Mesquite-Grilled Steak
- Pick Two-Chicken, Pulled Pork or Grilled Vegetables. You may also mix one with Steak or mix one with Shrimp
- Pulled Pork (Carnitas)
- Seasoned, Sautéed Shrimp
Fresh Grill selections give diners a taste of Mexico without tortillas. Ask for extra grilled vegetables in place of the rice.
- Chicken Salsa Fresca
- Mesquite-Grilled Chicken topped with a spicy salsa fresca. Served with Mexican rice and grilled vegetables.
- Tomatillo Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Breast topped with freshly made tomatillo sauce, pico de gallo and queso fresco. Served with sautéed vegetables and cilantro lime rice.
- Zone-favorable sides are black beans and mixed vegetables (Squash, Zucchini, Red Bell Peppers & Red Onions)
- You may also get a side salad.
Although many Mexican meals will take you out of the Zone, On the Border has some good alternatives.